While digging in her new garden in Mapstone Close Hambrook , Venish found the helmet plate pictured.
She contacted us and we were able to tell her that at one stage her house and the house next door had been police houses belonging to Gloucestershire Constabulary. This was before the boundary changes in 1974 that led the transfer of Staple Hill Division to Avon and Somerset Police. The helmet plate was of the type in use between 1953 and 1974. We are working hard to find out who may have lived in the house and lost their badge which originally would have looked like this.
We found the original site plans.
Looking at the voters registers for the time we found that the following officers lived there from the time that the houses were built around 1956 until 1974 when it became part of Avon and Somerset Constabulary.
1958 Campbell Willett
1961-62 Derek F Atkins
1961-65 James C Watts
1963 Kenneth Edwards
1965-66 Derek Bullock
1966-7 Francis Thomas
1968-9 Clive A Ingle
1968-74 Paul B Waters
1970-72 David Tombs
1973-4 Michael C Manns
We would love to have any other information or photographs to add to the little we know already and will pass it on to Venish.